These days, VPN clients offer many useful features and benefits on a wide range of connected devices. If we already know their benefits for computers and smartphones, their use is also beneficial on a Smart TV. Let us show you how to setup a VPN for smart TV in this article.
Originally used to protect data exchanges between devices connected to the web, VPNs now offer many other features that go a little beyond this framework. Among them is the circumvention of geographical restrictions or geoblocking.
Without going into details, this feature legally provides access to catalogs of content blocked due to the various legislations and TV rights in place in the US. By installing a VPN on your TV, you will be able to enjoy the catalogs of SVoD platforms around the world directly on your big screen, and from the comfort of your home couch!
To show you the benefits that a VPN connection can bring to your smart TV, and explain to you how to take advantage of it, we have decided to use the example of CyberGhost VPN. This VPN provider, ranked among the best on the market according to our latest tests, offers its subscription for two years, with two months free, for less than 2$ per month.
A VPN on my smart TV? What’s the purpose?
Installing a VPN App on your smart TV has many advantages. This can be performed regardless of the model of smart TV you own (Samsung smart TV, Sony, LG, TCL…) and actually depends on the type of operating system you are using. This tutorial is for Android TVs only!
First of all, smart TV users will benefit from a more secured and anonymous Internet connection when you browse from your TV. The policy of not log retention included in the CyberGhost VPN contract, for example, ensures that your ISP or the services to which you connect do not keep any trace of your data.
The biggest advantage of installing a VPN service on your Android TV is undoubtedly the possibility of circumventing the geoblocking policies established by certain countries and TV networks. By relocating your IP address to a server located in Europe or Japan, you will be able to access all the audio and video content hosted there without any restrictions.
You will be able for example, to access many films or series that are not available in the US because of licensing concerns or TV network deals in place.
Even better, a VPN service like CyberGhost VPN offers a server infrastructure entirely dedicated to streaming and SVoD services. You will be able to access your favorite services in a few clicks, without any loss of speed, and in the best possible quality.
How do I install a VPN connection on my Android TV?
Thanks to the Play Store, it is very easy to install the VPN of your choice on your smart TV. To illustrate this process, we have decided to use the example of CyberGhost VPN. Before you start this process, there are still several things to check.
To get started, of course, you will need to have a valid VPN subscription and a free device slot to keep your smart TV protected. CyberGhost VPN allows users to protect up to 7 devices simultaneously. You can therefore enjoy it on your smart TV as well as on your smartphone or PC.
You will also need to check which version of Android your TV is running on. Android 5.0 (Lollipop) is a minimum for the CyberGhost VPN app.
Once these checks have been carried out, here is the procedure to follow:
- Go to the Play Store from your TV and search for CyberGhost VPN in the search bar to find the app. Once this is done, start the installation.
- When the application is installed on your TV, open it, and choose whether or not you want your data to be shared.
- The application will then generate a PIN code, necessary to finalize the connection to your account. Go to cgvpn.info/link with your web browser and enter the code provided.
- Note that you can also choose to use the “open a standard connection” option and use your Username and Password combination to connect to your account.
- Now that you are connected, CyberGhost VPN will offer to encrypt your internet traffic. You have no choice but to accept at this stage, which means that all data that passes through the VPN server cannot be monitored, not even by your ISP.
- Now all you have to do is choose the server you want to connect to, and enjoy all the benefits of your new VPN connection.
- You can use servers dedicated to streaming services to enjoy the catalog of European sports networks, with minimal loading times regardless of the quality selected.
Why choose Cyberghost VPN?
With nearly 38 million users worldwide, CyberGhost VPN ranks among the best VPNs available on the market thanks to an easy to use VPN client, an extensive server infrastructure, and one of the cheapest price positioning on the market. This is also one of the best VPN for smart TV out there!
By taking out a subscription with them, you will access several services ensuring the protection of your data:
- More than 7200 servers, distributed in 91 countries;
- A policy of non-retention of Logs;
- 256-bit AES encryption;
- Protection on up to 7 devices with one subscription only;
- Simple and effective circumvention of geoblocking;
- Intuitive Android App available on many devices.
The CyberGhost VPN application is a model of ergonomics thanks to a simple interface that is perfectly suited for use on a television.
CyberGhost VPN services also have available and responsive customer service, which will respond to any of your requests, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, via live chat or email.
Renowned for its many servers spread across the world, CyberGhost VPN is the ideal VPN service for anyone who wants to enjoy streaming services in the US or abroad through a wide range of available VPN Apps. The provider indeed offers servers dedicated to streaming and optimized for more than 35 different SVoD services, such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC Player or Disney+.
Read our review of Cyberghost VPN on the following page!