Should I always use a VPN? The answer is yes, you should always use a Virtual Private Network. Here are 6 reasons to always use a VPN.
A VPN encrypts your traffic and keeps you safe online. By keeping it connected, you, and your information, will be protected from data breaches and leaks, unwanted ads and prying eyes.
6 reasons to always use a VPN
- Connect to public Wi-Fi securely
- Avoid ISP throttling and increase your Internet access speed
- Avoid tracking and ads while browsing
- Bypass geo-restrictions by connecting to a remote server
- Stay safe even without the S in HTTP
- Save money when shopping online
1. Connect to public Wi-Fi securely
Using a public Wi-Fi network can be risky. Other users on the same network can easily access your data and personal information, especially if it’s an open network without a password.
Protecting yourself on a public Wi-Fi and encrypting all your Internet traffic to prevent others from accessing your personal data is what a VPN is all about.
2. Avoid ISP throttling and increase your Internet access speed
Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) throttle your speed when you engage in bandwidth-intensive activities such as streaming video, network gaming or downloading files.
A VPN gives you a new IP (Internet Protocol) address and scrambles your data. Your ISP is no longer able to know what you are doing online. The limitation no longer applies.
3. Avoid tracking and ads while browsing
Our browsing habits, preferences, visits to online stores, etc., can be easily tracked through tracking, logs and relevant ads.
In other words, all your actions are compiled and possibly sold to third parties, unless specific data protection and privacy laws are implemented in your country. This is the case in France, only if you do not accept cookies.
Some of the best VPNs are equipped with an ad and malware blocker. This is a significant plus.
4. Bypass geo-restrictions by connecting to a remote server
The Internet is not as open as it was several years ago for various reasons. Some governments around the world use geo-restriction to block access to many sites and services.
An active VPN helps you protect your privacy online. Indeed, it allows you to bypass censorship and hide digital traces thanks to the remote secure servers that serve asintermediaries.
5. Stay safe even without the S in HTTP
HTTPS stands for HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure. It is intended to keep you safe by encrypting your data when you visit a site. Some websites do not use the HTTPS secure extension. Even for those that do, HTTPS uses Transport Layer Security (TSL) encryption which is much easier to crack than high-level VPN encryption.
And since sometimes browsing takes us to unlikely sites, being on a VPN can always come in handy.
6. Save money when shopping online
Every time you access a web page, your IP address is tracked to provide you with information based on your location.
It is possible to save money with a VPN when you shop online.
Advantages and disadvantages of using a VPN permanently
- Hide from prying eyes on the Internet
- Surf the Internet safely
- Avoid ISP throttling
- Stay safe on public Wi-Fi networks
- Get the best deals for your online purchases
- Bypass local firewalls
- Share and download files safely
- Device may slow down if it starts to get a little old
- Surf the Internet safely
- Slower connection especially if you use a free VPN.
- Some sites that require a specific location may not allow connection via a VPN.
- You may be disconnected from websites that do not recognize your location (e.g. banks).
Why should cybersecurity be your top priority?
Whether it’s the loss of your login information or the complete theft of your identity, cyberattacks are a growing threat to everyone.
As more and moreinformation that can affect people’s lives makes its way onto the internet and our devices, privacy should be considered a top priority. A barrier like a VPN works like the front door to your home, only when it is properly closed does it keep out strangers and all your assets are safe.
So yes, you should always use a VPN. If you’re looking for privacy and security when connecting to the Internet, whether it’s on public Wi-Fi, at home or at work, you can be sure that a 24/7 VPN will keep that information safe.