Following last week’s terrorists in Paris and yesterday’s solidarity march, several EU ministers have proposed new Internet censorship and surveillance tactics.
The statement issued on Sunday said the world’s leaders must fight radicalism “notably on the Internet”. The statement goes on to say:
“and on the strengthening of resources to thwart the action of the different forms of terrorist networks and notably to hamper their movement of.”
The motion follows reports and the surfacing of videos online that tie one of the now dead suspects to the Islamic State. The EU leaders describe the “increasingly frequent use of the Internet to fuel hatred and violence.”
“With this in mind, the Partnership of the major Internet providers is essential to create the conditions of a swift reporting of material that aims to incite hatred and terror and the condition of its removing, where appropriate/possible.”
Following the attacks, several commentators immediately raised concerns of the tragedies fueling further Internet censorship or surveillance, even referencing France’s already heavy surveillance practices.
“France has got the most intrusive [surveillance laws] of any country. That hasn’t protected it,” British MP David Davis said to Forbes, who added that the Charlie Hebdo attacks did not justify blanket surveillance.
The ministers also champion continued free speech in their statement, which may appear somewhat hypocritical from some, given the sentiments also raised in their proposals.
These proposals remain just that for the time being but they also refer to forthcoming talk in Riga on January 29. Furthermore, the EU leaders raise new concerns on the open borders of the Schengen Area and suggest some form of amendment.
Staying online, over the last few day hacktivist group Anonymous has threatened to hack all Islamic State and terrorist related sites in responses to last week’s attacks.